Tuesday, November 3, 2015

SMAC to THON

As promised, to contrast the solemn subject matter in my last post, this post is focused on a happy topic... and what could possibly be happier than Penn State THON?


As the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, THON is an incredibly powerful event in which we can all come together and fight pediatric cancer. This organization is what drew me to Penn State, and it all started when I caught the "THON bug" in high school with another philanthropic organization.

Do you remember when you were little and the moment it became December first, you were prepared for Christmas, anxiously counting down the days until Santa would come grace your living room with a multitude of presents? However, as time went on this sensation began to dull, Christmases seemed to sneak up on us from year to year. Years later, I found myself immersed in that sensation once again, but this time for something entirely unrelated to Christmas, though it might as well have been a holiday: SMAC.

SMAC (Stillwater Makes a Change) was, without a doubt, the highlight of my high school career. Every year, our SMAC committee chose a local charity and spent the entire year planning, which ultimately led to a week in April full of fundraisers to benefit our selected recipient. We had events ranging from carnivals, to block parties, to talent shows, to a mini dance marathon, to the Mangeant, and many more. My favorite of these was unquestionably the Mangeant, an all-male pageant.

Senior year I was elected to the position of executive director for Mangeant, the largest event of SMAC week. When I accepted this position, little did I know that I was also accepting the role of "mom" to fourteen brave souls who wanted to compete for the coveted title of "Mr. SHS." Throughout the months of planning prior to the event I was entirely unaware of my motherly responsibilities until it was time for dress rehearsal. I had the revelation when I was asked, "can you safety pin my suspenders for me?" it then escalated to "will you watch me on stage and tell me if my butt looks okay in these shorts?" and "Is everything tucked where it needs to be?" In an odd way, seeing the guys express themselves in a vulnerable way was demonstrative of their genuine care for our cause, and at that moment all of the hard work and sleepless nights became worth it because I understood that my part in the entire ordeal had so much meaning, not just for myself, but for others as well.

Since coming to Penn State, I have shifted my focus to THON, and I could not be more excited... I mean seriously, look at some of what happened at last year's THON.
As a member of Dancer Relations, I am overjoyed to be an invested contributor in the team of volunteers who help execute THON weekend. There is nothing more amazing than being a part of something so much bigger than yourself, and this is certainly a prime example. Remember friends, have courage, wisdom, honesty and strength (The Four Diamonds) and do it FTK!!

Picture credits to
THON

3 comments:

  1. SMAC sounds like it was really cool! That's pretty awesome that you had the opportunity to be part of such a great event in high school...and now you get to do something similar on a much bigger scale at Penn State. THON definitely makes a difference when students are trying to decide which college to attend. I never did anything quite like that in high school, but I remember in elementary school we had a minithon. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, my high school didn't have a philanthropic organization club, but I definitely know how awesome it is getting involved in THON. It's awesome that you got to get involved in DR here, and can continue being involved in such amazing things! P.S. I LOVEE these THON videos and they always make me so emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I got involved with mini-THON at my high school last year so I know exactly what you mean when you talk about all the hard work finally paying off. This year I'm on R&R and I'm so excited for THON! I loved how you were able to tie a tradition similar to THON from your hometown that we never would have know about before. It was a great way to tie Oklahoma to PA.

    ReplyDelete