Tuesday, September 15, 2015

An Ode to Oklahoma!

Being serenaded by complete strangers would make for an interesting situation, and believe me, it most definitely does. It seems that about half of my first encounters with individuals outside of the classroom somehow incorporate a musical number, or at least an attempt at one.

"OOOOOklahoma, where the wind comes...uhh...."

I suppose that if State College was the setting for a legitimate live-action musical I would complete the phrase with "sweeping down plains." However, despite the musicality of the moment, life at Penn State is a lot of things other than one big musical production. The awkwardness enveloping the situation induces one response: an uncomfortable giggle and a change of topic.

Initially I thought that this was people's attempt to make a memorable first impression; however, upon farther analysis I realized that this was evidence of people's natural love for speaking on a topic they are knowledgeable about. The only "facts" that they know are derived from the iconic 1955 musical, so as soon as they know that I am from Oklahoma, their logical "factual" contribution to the conversation seems to inevitably consist of the only musical line from the show they all know.

Oklahoma! has five well known pieces composed by the one and only Hammerstein. Although these songs are catchy and you will inevitably be caught tapping your toes to the rhythms, they truly are not relevant to contemporary Oklahoma and here is why...



"Oklahoma"

This is the quintessential centerpiece of the musical; however, by simply listening to the first verse it is (hopefully) immediately apparent that this is not the same state in which I was born and raised. Personally, I have only encountered the terms "pertaters" and "termaters" while lightheartedly embracing the entirely false stereotypes this musical has cursed us with.

  
"Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'"

This piece paints a picture of Oklahoma as a landscape entirely composed of livestock and corn. Contrary to this, the moment I walk out of my house I am not met with vast fields and cows. In fact, my hometown of Stillwater, Oklahoma is advanced enough to have three McDonald's (WOW) and two Wal-Marts (Oh my)!

 
"I Cain't Say No"

The lyrics go "I'm just a girl who cain't say no," but personally I am in fact female and I can definitely say no. This piece displays a southern floozy wooed by the southern charm of numerous gentlemen who enter her life. I am not going to say that Oklahoma is immune to individuals excelling in the area of promiscuity; however, I can promise that their experiences starkly contrast the accounts of Ado Annie in this song. Additionally-- who on earth says "cain't"??

 
"The Surrey with the Fringe on Top"

This song's lack of relevance to modern Oklahoma is exemplified by my own action: I had to look up what a surrey is. In case you were wondering, it is a a little two-seated carriage- thanks Google.
 
 
"The Farmer and the Cowman"

Perhaps this is the piece that creates the most inaccurate ideas of the persona of Oklahomans. The title itself labels us all as "farmers and cowmen," but if you speak with me, even briefly, I hope that you recognize that I have more to offer than the simpleminded southerners depicted in Oklahoma!

1 comment:

  1. First off, I have to tell you how much I loved your elevator pitch today in class! It made me want to see what Oklahoma was really like. I love how you decided to debunk the major stereotypes we have of Oklahoma by using examples of videos from the place most people get their stereotypes, the movie, and explain why they are wrong. Very Clever. I can't wait to read more about the real Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete