Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Search for Aspen

Going so far away from home I had to leave a lot of things behind: my family, my friends, and my dog (which was a really depressing farewell). I lived in Stillwater, Oklahoma for all eighteen years of my life so it is all I know as home. I found comfort and security in all of the quaint features such as locations and people. Outside of my actual house, one place in particular felt exceptionally "homey." My home away from home was a trendy coffee shop called Aspen.


Aspen is a is a hidden gem of my hometown. It started out as just one rustic coffee shop in the heart of our old southern styled downtown, and because of it's overwhelming popularity and success, Aspen has expanded to three different store fronts, affectionately referred to as
Hipster-spen: the original downtown location
Mom-spen: the calmest location situation in a little shopping center
and
Frat-spen: the newest location constantly swamped by college students

In highschool, whenever my friends and I would get together, it was never "whose house should we go to?" but "which Aspen should we go to?"
While we were at Aspen the minutes turned to hours, and before we knew it we had spent the day casually drinking granitas (the best frappuccino you will ever have) and blended chais (essentially Christmas in a cup). Because of the endless amount of time spent at Aspen, it fosters some of my favorite memories.

When I walk into Aspen at home, I am immediately immersed in a sense of comfort, and I am basically guaranteed to see a familiar face. In my mission to make State College feel like home, I am searching for an Aspen substitute and to put it bluntly, it is not going well.

Starbucks seems like the place to go here, but I refuse to conform. With one look at me and at my background people assume that I am the preppy stereotypical cheerleader type, and I do not need to walk around with Starbucks in hand to help fuel the validity of the assumptions. By the way, I may have been a cheerleader, but I proudly defy the stereotypes.
Starbucks is housed directly in the middle of the mainstream, if you will. To find a more sufficient Aspen equivalent I opted to try a slightly more obscure place and discovered Saint's Cafe. I loved how cozy the small coffeeshop was but there was one issue which I couldn't handle-it was completely silent. I looked around and saw that everyone appeared to be the "hipster type" and was furiously working in the absence of noise. At Aspen there is always a low buzz of comfortable conversation and chill music. Again, I had made an attempt and failed. 


The search continued for my safe haven of a coffee shop until finally I realized that that was not what would make Penn State feel like home. I needed to stop assuming that I would have an Aspen equivalent to escape whatever uncertainties or second guesses I was having at college. My perfect place wasn't preexisting, already waiting for me; instead, it is my duty to sculpt it. I need to put forth effort to get what I want for a college experience and that rests in the people. It may be a slow process, but I'm building a new sense of community with some outstanding people. It may not be what I was expecting, but my friends are my little piece of comfort, not a coffee shop. 

6 comments:

  1. After reading your post I want to visit Aspen, although I wouldn't know which of the three cleverly named shops to go to. This whole post was light and humorous. Don't give up hope, maybe your Aspen equivalent will appear as you spend more time on campus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part in this post where you referenced Starbucks was hilarious!! I liked how you said drinking Starbucks would make you look like a typical white girl, LOL. However, I also like how you truly took us to the Aspen coffee shop. You made me really want to try their coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your take on not having a coffee shop that is like the ones at home. Friends do make a strange place feel like home; this is something that I have recently come to realize as well. It is kind of funny because my town has a coffee shop much like the one you described. It is right down from my high school and has a buzzing atmosphere. As a suggestion, maybe, you should give Webster's a shot. I haven't been there, but it is a book cafe and may be closer to Aspen's atmosphere in a sense. A lot of people I talk to enjoy Webster's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your post was very intimate and also quite humorous. I don't consider myself a hipster, but I do have an appreciation for people not wanting to conform to mainstream hits. I thought your pictures were hilarious, especially the typical white girl definition and the hipster joke. I like how you were so descriptive in a specific piece of your home rather than taking a broad approach, and I also like how you connected it to State College.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! My Aspen equivalent at home is called "Tru Blu" and I miss it dearly. This sentence was my favorite to read and it gave some great insight: "My perfect place wasn't preexisting, already waiting for me; instead, it is my duty to sculpt it." I am still feeling a little uncomfortable at times here, but your post helped me to realize that I need to start building a new home away from home and make the most of every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job Madison. I love how you started by reflecting on your wonderful memories of your home town cafe. It will always be something to look forward to visiting when you go home. However, I really liked how you showed the way your thought process has evolved since you came here. Being 5 weeks in we still all miss home and try to find things to replace the things we miss from home. However, as you said I think we are all starting to realize it's time to make some new memories with new people, in new places. Although a bit intimidating it's part of the college experience. Good luck an don't be afraid to try something completely new!

    ReplyDelete