Monday, October 5, 2015

Peter Pioneer and his Covered Wagon

I am sure that you all have your preconceived notions about life in Oklahoma. If you have been following my blog, you are aware that I am seeking the opportunity to educate you all about the realities of life in the south from my perspective by defying expectations and debunking stereotypes. However, I have noticed something funny: in my modern community of Stillwater, Oklahoma, we know the stereotypes are false, yet we continually fuel them. This might be a relatively strange concept to grasp, but integrated into my contemporary high school are elements of stereotypes brought alive through traditions.

Here at Penn State we identify with the sleek image of the Nittany Lion and we proudly declare "WE ARE" in its name.


However, back home we epitomize the old south by identifying ourselves as Pioneers and hailing our mascot: the one and only Peter Pioneer himself. 


I am sure you are all in awe of the fine artistry it took to create our mascot. The masculine demeanor and solid jawline emphasize the power of our school, but in reality our mascot really looks a little more like this. 


Pretty sketchy, am I right?? Regardless of his not so powerful appearance in real life, we, for some reason, continue to affiliate ourselves with Peter (yes, we are on a first name basis) with pride. 

Not only do we have a coonskin cap adorned ambassador for our school, we also have a covered wagon in the center of our athletic center lobby for all to see. This is a cherished piece for our school, so it is roped off in the hopes that rebellious students will stay away; however, despite the administration's efforts, this has not always been a successful tactic. One legendary senior class somehow managed to break into the school in the middle of the night. They miraculously discovered how to remove the massive wagon from the athletic center. In my opinion, just taking the wagon in itself is an admirable senior prank, but they did not stop there. The following morning, everyone arrived at Stillwater High School to find the covered wagon perched on the roof of the school. 

Now that I am looking back on my time in high school, it's intriguing to see how bits and pieces of southern history are deeply woven into our high school. We recognize that pioneers and covered wagons hugely molded the beginnings of societies in Oklahoma, and although we have come a long way since then, we still continue to reflect on our history. I may not have descended from a long line of farmers whose family was brought to Oklahoma because of the Land Run, but I am certainly thankful for those who were. Because of them, Oklahoma was given the foundation to grow into an incredibly unique state; modern with hints of history laced throughout it.

Picture credit to

and



7 comments:

  1. That might be the best high school mascot costume I've seen! A school pretty close to mine actually had a calculator as their mascot for a while. Reading about your reflections back on your time in high school made me a bit nostalgic myself, and I texted a couple of my high school friends to catch up! Great post as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and nice mascot! Although a bit creepy, I like the reason your school has the mascot and after a few glances he is kind of cute. I like how writing this blog made you reflect on the traditions at your school and see how although you know the stereotypes are wrong you can almost see why we still have them; especially when your school almost fuels them out of pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as senior pranks go, this one seems to be right out of a cartoon or sitcom. That must taken a lot of effort, unless it was an inside job! (cue dramatic music)

    Anyways, I have always found that stereotypes are always based some part in truth. It's great to see that your high school overcame the negative stigma of stereotypes in order to honor history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally relatable; in the fact that my high school has the same exact mascot problem! We have a tall slender muscular drawling of a dutch man, but as a mascot costume, we have this crazed-looking big head on top of a fake muscle-cushioned body. It is quite something, but on top of your problem, my school is called the home of the "Little Dutchman", not even a normal sized "Dutchman".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first visit to your blog, and I wish I had read it sooner! I really enjoyed this post, and I thought your tone was easy to read and fun! I never realized how important each individuals town's history was, and hearing about yours was very interesting (and so funny)! I look forward to your next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely relate to the concept of fueling false stereotypes. Being from New York, not all of us talk in that typical accent, but we constantly joke about it pretending we do. I didn't know who Peter Pioneer was before this post, so it was interesting to learn about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The senior prank that you mentioned was perfect. That is by far one of the best pranks I have ever heard of! I also enjoyed how your school could overcome the stereotype. Pioneers are a part of your school's history. It should really be a positive thing.

    ReplyDelete